Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Galway Chronicles

As we prepare for a trip to the Emerald Isle, I'm reading some historical fiction about Ireland: The Galway Chronicles by Bodie and Brock Thoene.

I've finished and enjoyed two of them so far. The books don't compare to the classics by James Joyce, but they do have good guys and bad guys and lots happens to the poor Donovan family. The books are set in the 1840's, when the English ruled Ireland and sent troublesome young men to America or the gallows. Knowing something about Irish history and geography helps make them interesting.

I'm listening to A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by Joyce. Again, my increased familiarity with the country helps me understand the context in which Stephen Dedalus struggles to figure out who he is.

No comments: