Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Minis Arrives

Ioannis Minis arrived at the hotel at 7:30 Wednesday morning; he had just come on a flight from Athens. He will be here with me through Friday afternoon.

With Minis here, things are picking up - more meetings with students, and many adjustments to the schedule. My presentation was moved from Wednesday morning to Friday afternoon, so it will be the last bit of work I do here. I did get out to lunch at the place down the road from the lab; this time I had a chicken and rice dish. George, the student who took me, insisted that it was "rooster," not "chicken" (and not turkey), but it looked like chicken to me - I never thought male chicken tasted different. In any case, the dish was a perfectly done leg quarter over rice with a tomato and mushroom sauce. Dessert was fresh fruit again; this time melon and cherries.

Back in Chios, for dinner Minis and I walked down the main road to a German-style place that offers beers from around the world; I chose a Pilsner Urquell on draft (this Czech beer is a favorite, and back home it is uncommon and only in bottles); Minis had a couple of bottles of Grolsch, a Dutch beer. Dinner was bread and salad (one a Greek salad, the other with greens) and a platter of different grilled meat.

Today there are more meetings, but I plan to visit the little beach near the lab, and Minis plans to take me to Mesta before dinner.

No comments: