Monday, July 02, 2007

Starting for Home

[Written on Friday June 29, 2007.]

Here is a photo of Minis and his students, taken in the lab just after my presentation:




The Chios airport is very small (no taxiway, one runway, one baggage claim belt, two gates, three check-in stations) but is, for better or worse, full of the same processes as any other airport: ticketing, check-in, bag check, security, baggage claim, and waiting. My Olympic Airlines flight is delayed because the incoming plane from Athens was not on time. I wonder if it is the same plane going back and forth all day long; as soon as it gets behind, all of its remaining flights are delayed. We're beginning to board (the gate agent is checking boarding passes) at 6:15 right now for a 5:45 flight.

It is nice to be taking the first few steps towards home; even getting in the car to leave the lab was a sign of progress towards home. I'm reminded of some song (from the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings) about the road that goes ever on, but now I'm headed home.

Got to Athens without any trouble, got my bags, and ate some dinner at the McDonald's - I had to have the McTost, which reminded me a bit of those flattened hamburgers that are sold at the Varsity. Took the Metro back to Megaro Moussikis and walked a few blocks to the hotel (the same one where I had stayed last weekend). Checked in and am going to bed.

No comments: