Friday, April 13, 2007

Conservation

In his post today, my friend Mike Warner discusses how the British are quite conservation-minded and how he hopes to maintain some of those values when he returns to the United States.


His attitude is admirable, in my opinion, unlike the calls of many environmental activists to limit the emissions of carbon dioxide. The impact of carbon dioxide emissions from human activities on global warming is controversial, to say the least, but the downside from increased energy costs is not. The Washington Post this week had an article on Europe's experience with limiting carbon dioxide emissions. According to the article:
"People in Washington have begun to focus on the cost of climate change," said Paul Bledsoe, strategy director at the National Commission on Energy Policy. "But it's important to recognize that legislation to mitigate climate change is going to have significant economic costs, as well."


I think that I'll follow Mike's example, be a good steward, and avoid wasting resources. I can recycle, drive at a sensible speed, and install energy-efficient appliances, light bulbs and windows, for example. If our nation follows Europe's example by capping carbon dioxide emissions, I expect that we will be paying even more for energy.

3 comments:

Molly Herrmann said...

Jeffrey,
I'm so glad you shared your blog with us! Keith & I have also been increasing our efforts at conservation. We have always recycled and such, but with the 'impending doom' messages of late, we are steppin' it up. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to see 'An Inconvenient Truth' and to read the latest Time Magazine article on ways that we can conserve. For our part, we will be switching MORE of our lights to efficient bulbs and are in the process of getting new windows. I have also been trying to use re-usable bags for groceries, etc. I even bought a reusable cloth bag to hold wine bottles (Keith just rolled his eyes at that one!). IKEA stores are starting to charge 5 cents for each plastic bag, resulting in a 95% (I beleive) drop in plastic bag use in their UK stores...a more common sense approach as Mike mentioned. On the business front, my clients have thus far agreed to a re-use program for food containers. They wash and return the containers to me every week or so. I am currently looking into food containers that are easily bio-degradable or recyclable to give more clients the option. They do amazing things with corn and sugar cane to make more 'green' packaging.

Sorry for the long comments, but your message was timely and much on our minds. Every little bit helps! Take care!

Molly

Keith L Herrmann said...

I believe we need combined efforts: bottom-up and top-down efforts. Government and Industry can set a good example with legislation, and by either encouraging conservation or creating incentives for conservation - because a lot of the populus has a hard time getting over the "What can I do? I'm just one person" objection.

Mike said...

Hey Keith -- how's this for legislation: my town council only picks up trash every other week. On the odd weeks, they pick up recyclables. The two bins are exactly the same size! That's certainly encouraged me to look at what I throw away! Haven't gone to composting yet though...